Hours of Operation
By appointment (48-hour advance notice suggested).
*Temporarily closed June 10 - 29, 2015, and July 3, 4, and 5, 2015.
For admission information, please see related text at left just above Directions.
400 Beacon St.
View Google Map »
800.277.8943, ext. 100See Directions Below
Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts1908 to 1910
Mrs. Eddy's Return to Boston
The house: The original house was built circa 1880, designed by the prestigious Boston firm of Peabody and Stearns. Mrs. Eddy, the third owner of the property, purchased it in 1907. She had it extensively remodeled under the supervision of Chicago architect Solon S. Beman, who had collaborated on The Mother Church Extension. In accordance with Mrs. Eddy's directions, the house was expanded to accommodate her growing staff that ranged from fourteen to twenty-four people, and the layout of the rooms was altered to conform to that of Pleasant View, her home in Concord, New Hampshire, from 1892 to 1908. The grand proportions of the exterior of the home belied the simplicity, utility, and lightness of the interior. The woodwork was painted. Wallpapers and carpets were sprightly but modest. The steep uphill drive and the hilly grounds were landscaped with trees and flower gardens.
Through generous donations, Longyear Museum was enabled to acquire this property and some of its furnishings from The First Church of Christ, Scientist, in 2006. Repairs and preservation have begun. Studies for restoration are underway. Tours through the largely unfurnished rooms make use of historic photos depicting the home when Mrs. Eddy and her staff lived and worked here.
Its story: Mrs. Eddy had been ensconced at Pleasant View for over fifteen years when she made her move back to the Boston area. In January 1908 she and her household took up residence here at 400 Beacon Street. Her home was a center of activity for the Christian Science movement, and reflected her role as its Leader.
Similarities between Pleasant View and this home, as remodeled, may be more significant than the apparent differences. For example, at her insistence, Mrs. Eddy's bedroom at Chestnut Hill was cut down closer to the scale of her snug little bedroom at Pleasant View. The main staircase was moved and reconfigured to present a gracious center entry, like the one at Pleasant View, but wider and more suitable to the proportions of the house.
Her study here closely mirrors her former work space at Pleasant View, with her desk surrounded by a bay of windows looking out onto the trees and plantings. From this study in July 1908, just months after arriving here, Mrs. Eddy directed the officers of her church to immediately set about publishing a daily newspaper. And three months later, on November 25, 1908, this is where she opened the first issue of The Christian Science Monitor.
Here the Discoverer of Christian Science continued revising the Christian Science textbook, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, in what would be the final edition. Here she authorized the first translation of Science and Health into another language - German - with the English text and the translation on facing pages.
This would be Mrs. Eddy's final home. She passed away here in her ninetieth year, on December 3, 1910.
$10.00 suggested donation. Longyear members and children under 12, free.
From Route 128/95 take the Route 9 East exit (#20A) toward Brookline and Boston.
Continue along Route 9 for 3.5 miles, passing the General Cinema on the left.
Move into the left-hand turn lane as you pass the cinema and Star Market.
Turn left onto Hammond Street; there is a CVS drugstore on the left corner.
Continue on Hammond Street. Turn left on Beacon Street at the first traffic light.
400 Beacon Street is on the left, less than a mile from the Hammond/Beacon intersection.