The Massachusetts Metaphysical College was chartered in January 1881. The first sessions were conducted in Lynn. In 1882 the Eddys moved to Boston, and the College re-opened at 569 Columbus Avenue with Mrs. Eddy as its president and virtually its only teacher.
During the seven years in Boston, what had begun in 1867 as one student alone with the teacher expanded to classrooms full of students, and then to Christian Science Institutes and practitioners of Christian Science healing from coast to coast and overseas.
The growth is documented by listings in the bi-monthly Journal of Christian Science, which Mrs. Eddy established in 1883, and which grew into a monthly publication, renamed The Christian Science Journal. By the end of the decade hundreds from around the country were applying to enter her classes.
In March 1889 she taught her largest Primary class ever: sixty-five students. But her Normal class that year would be her last classroom teaching in Boston. After that class she left Boston and, during the next few months, closed the College. Settling in Concord, New Hampshire, she turned her attention to other pressing work.
Read more about Teaching Christian Science