Daniel Patterson owned part interest in a sawmill when he and Mary resided in this village. The mill was located less than 100 feet from the front door of the small five-room house in which they lived, and noise from the mill reverberated through daily life.
In 1920, when Mary Beecher Longyear purchased the North Groton property, the remains of the sawmill were still evident, but the buildings had fallen into disrepair.
Over the years, the mill site nearly disappeared, as trees and other vegetation began to overtake it.
In fall 2008, Longyear staff took a closer look at the mill site to share information about it in public tours, and shed more light on Mrs. Eddy’s life from 1855 – 1860.
Dr. David Starbuck, an industrial archaeologist and professor at nearby Plymouth State University, visited the site in 2008 and 2010, and has offered important guidance to the Longyear team.
The site has been cleared of large trees.
In 2010 Museum staff members began excavating around the foundation next to the wheel pit.
Visitors to the Mary Baker Eddy Historic House in North Groton now see clearer evidence of the sawmill that was a part of Mrs. Eddy’s daily life.