The architect designed this fence based on historic photographs. The fence replicates what was in front of the house c.1875, when Mrs. Eddy moved in.
After much analysis and study, we determined that the fence, like the house, should have a polychrome paint scheme. Three of the five house colors are used on the fence.
A year ago, this front gate was bowed and not level with the sidewalk. Today, the gate design, brick walk, and front steps are much closer to the original front entrance c.1875. The diamond cut design on the gate is based on historic photographs.
The new paint scheme highlights the decorative carvings on this attractive Italianate structure, like this bracket on the portico over the front door.
The fence was the finishing touch of the exterior restoration. The painters covered the lilac bush with a white tarp to protect it while they worked.
The rear of the house, or south elevation, completed. Notice the back porch, off the side of the ell, and the new brick walk to the vestibule entrance.
This tiny balcony was reconstructed based on historic photographs.
The yard and house after a year of restoration and construction.
Today the Broad Street house has an expansive backyard, but during the nineteenth century this was a dense neighborhood. There were three additional buildings on this property when Mrs. Eddy lived here, and there were four buildings where the parking lot is today!
With the installation of the Chadwick Foyer lettering, the new accessible entrance is complete.
The stone and brick foundation wall in the basement was incorporated into the new coatroom. This room is loaded with texture with ceramic tiles on the floor, the original stone and brick foundation wall, open floor joists and beams above, and new drywall to finish off the space.
Another view of the coatroom with its beautiful oak bench with storage below.