October 10, 2011
Longyear Museum is pleased to announce that the street address of the Mary Baker Eddy Historic House in Lynn recently changed from 12 Broad Street back to its original number, 8 Broad Street. Mrs. Eddy’s address was 8 Broad Street when she lived in this house from 1875 to 1882.
This address change is significant to Longyear’s historic preservation efforts as there are many important documents, letters, and manuscripts relating to Mrs. Eddy’s founding of the Church of Christ, Scientist, that carry the original address. Since there was no modern day number 8 Broad Street, Longyear requested that the City of Lynn change the street address back to its original number in conjunction with the Museum’s major exterior restoration of this historic house.
This official address change comes as the Museum concludes significant exterior preservation work on this site. The exterior restoration project was funded by generous Museum donors and a grant from the Massachusetts Cultural Facilities Fund. Significant changes have been made to the exterior of the house based on extensive preservation research, all designed to present a more accurate picture of the home Mrs. Eddy would have known when she lived there. For more information about Longyear’s historic preservation efforts in Lynn, please visit the Lynn Restoration page.
Join us at 8 Broad Street in Lynn, Massachusetts, on Saturday, October 15, from 10am to 3pm for an Open House celebrating the completion of the exterior restoration of the Mary Baker Eddy Historic House.