Annual Operating Budget
Longyear’s annual operating expenditures for the past five years have averaged $3.9 million. Behind the numbers are skilled employees, complex facilities, historic collections, exhibits, publications and films, computer systems, and organized, inspired teamwork — all with one objective: To help further the understanding and appreciation of Mary Baker Eddy as the Discoverer, Founder, and Leader of Christian Science.
OPERATING EXPENSES (FIVE-YEAR AVERAGE): $3.9 MILLION
Longyear’s annual operating budget relies on a combination of funding sources. Broad-based, consistent financial support — over and above membership dues — is vital to forwarding our work. We strive to be good stewards of each and every gift, and are deeply grateful to those who are joining with us to advance an appreciation of Mary Baker Eddy.
INCOME SOURCES (FIVE-YEAR AVERAGE)
• Membership dues provide for 2% of operating needs.
• Annual donations, over and above membership dues, provide approximately 31% of operating income.
• Program revenue from Museum Store sales, program registrations, ticket sales, and visitor donations contribute 4% to the budget.
• Endowments and investment income are approximately 32% of the total annual budget.
• Bequests have traditionally been an important vehicle for supporting Longyear, averaging 31% in recent years.
The Trustees and management of Longyear are committed to operating debt free.