ELLEN ELIZABETH CROSS was healed of invalidism around 1883 through the work of practitioner and teacher Julia S. Bartlett, a student of Mrs. Eddy’s. After class instruction with Miss Bartlett, Ellen took three classes with Mrs. Eddy at the Massachusetts Metaphysical College: Primary in November 1885, Normal in 1886, and at the close of a third class held in 1888, she received the degree of C.S.D. Between 1885 and 1886, Miss Cross practiced Christian Science healing in several New England towns, and in 1887, she taught her first class in Binghamton, New York. She worked faithfully to establish Christian Science in Syracuse, and was Principal of the Students Christian Science Association of Syracuse, chartered in 1887. In 1893, she settled permanently in Baltimore, Maryland, and by 1897 began to hold church services in her home. On Christmas day 1900, the new Christian Science chapel in that city was opened with addresses given by Professor Hermann Hering and Miss Cross — the First and Second Readers. In 1903, Ellen Cross spent about six weeks in Mrs. Eddy’s home.