MARY W. MUNROE moved with her parents from Hudson, New Hampshire, to Somerville, Massachusetts, when she was a child. In the early 1880s, Mary accepted the teachings of Christian Science, found healing, and in January 1883 had Primary class instruction with Mrs. Eddy at the Massachusetts Metaphysical College, followed by two further courses in 1884 and 1887. Thereafter, she devoted her life to the practice of Christian Science. Mary Munroe was a frequent contributor to The Christian Science Journal, served as Treasurer of the Christian Scientist Association, and was very active in the early years of the church and movement. She served in a number of capacities, including as a member of the Business Committee, the Hymnal Committee, and the Bible Lesson Committee. She was one of the 12 First Members appointed by Mrs. Eddy, and helped to organize The First Church of Christ, Scientist, in Boston.