STEPHEN A. CHASE was associated with a leather manufacturing firm in Fall River, Massachusetts, when he became interested in Christian Science. He studied with Mrs. Eddy in 1887 at the Massachusetts Metaphysical College, but did not become active in the Christian Science movement until 1892, when Mrs. Eddy selected him as one of the first four members of the newly-formed Christian Science Board of Directors. At that time, Mrs. Eddy also requested him, along with 11 other of her students, to organize The First Church of Christ, Scientist, in Boston. Mr. Chase was appointed Treasurer of the Building Fund by Mrs. Eddy, and he brought trustworthiness and sound judgement to financial problems surrounding the building of the Original Edifice of The Mother Church. Stephen Chase’s accuracy and promptness led to his appointment as Treasurer of The Mother Church in 1896. He served the Church for almost 20 years, commuting to Boston or Concord from his home in Fall River, Massachusetts.