DR. FRANCIS J. FLUNO was five years old when his parents moved from New York to Wisconsin. As a young man, he worked his way through Wisconsin State University in Madison. A desire to help humanity led him to study homeopathy, but its practice soon proved unsatisfactory to him. In the summer of 1885, he heard of Christian Science and entered Mrs. Eddy’s Primary class at the Massachusetts Metaphysical College in November of that year. He then spent over two years in Lexington, Kentucky, healing and holding church services. After Normal class with Mrs. Eddy in 1887, followed by an additional two years of practice, he received his C.S.D. degree. In 1888, Dr. Fluno left Lexington, where he had taught one class, and moved briefly to San Francisco before settling across the bay in Oakland, California. There, he helped organize First Church of Christ, Scientist, Oakland, and taught and healed for many years. Appointed to the Christian Science Board of Lectureship in 1898, Francis Fluno lectured throughout the world for 21 years, giving the first lecture in Hawaii and, in 1909, the first in Africa. He served as President of The Mother Church in 1918.