MARY H. COLLINS became interested in Christian Science when seeking a cure for her husband, who was ill with tuberculosis. The couple had been visiting Rome, where they had met the American sculptor Luella Varney (later Serrao). Edward’s illness forced their return to Denver, Colorado, where they learned of Christian Science. After Mr. Collins was healed in 1886, both husband and wife had class instruction with Bradford Sherman, and attended Normal class with Mrs. Eddy at the Massachusetts Metaphysical College the following year. Sometime later, Mary, who had been impressed with the quality of Miss Varney’s work, asked Mrs. Eddy’s consent to have a bust made of her, to which Mrs. Eddy agreed. Several reproductions were made by Miss Varney, one of which is in Longyear Museum, and another of which is in the Smithsonian National Portrait Gallery. For more than 40 years, Mary Collins was in the public practice of Christian Science and did much to promote its growth in the West.