CHARLES M. HOWE, from St. Joseph, Missouri, entered the public practice of Christian Science in 1887 after taking class instruction from one of Mrs. Eddy’s students. His mother, who was healed through Christian Science treatment, also became a practitioner, and together, mother and son opened an office in St. Joseph. Within a year, Charles took Normal class with Mrs. Eddy, and early in the 1890s he organized the St. Joseph Institute of Christian Science for teaching and healing. In 1899, Mrs. Eddy asked Mr. Howe to supervise the construction of a modern, well-built, fully-equipped home that she planned to give her son, George Glover, and his family as a Christmas gift. She expressed her appreciation for Mr. Howe’s fine handling of this project with the gift of a gold watch and chain, with a fob enclosing a miniature picture of herself. This artifact is now in the Longyear Museum collection. Mr. Howe continued to teach and heal for many years.