JOHN CARROLL LATHROP was living in Freeport, Illinois, in 1885 when his mother, Laura Lathrop, was healed of chronic invalidism through Christian Science treatment. He began to study the new religion, and in 1886 went to New York City with his mother, who had been sent there by Mrs. Eddy following Normal class instruction. John joined The Mother Church in 1895, and after taking Primary class instruction from his mother in 1896, became a Journal-listed practitioner. Two years later, in 1898, he received the degree of C.S.B. after attending Mrs. Eddy’s final class. He joined Mrs. Eddy’s household at Pleasant View in 1903, serving a total of 18 months there and in Chestnut Hill over a period of five years, often as her corresponding secretary. John Lathrop taught his first class in 1902, and continued teaching until 1940. He was active in Second Church of Christ, Scientist, New York, which his mother had helped to establish. In 1911 he was called to serve as First Reader of The Mother Church, and in 1914 as its President. He also served on the Board of Lectureship from 1918 to 1924, and for part of 1929.