JUDGE CLIFFORD P. SMITH first became interested in Christian Science in 1896 and joined The Mother Church in 1902. One of his early services to the Christian Science movement was to define and preserve the legal rights of Christian Scientists to heal by prayer. In 1908, he resigned his position as District Court Judge of the Iowa State Bench and moved to Boston. In June of that year he became First Reader of The Mother Church, and during his term of office was called upon to conduct Mrs. Eddy’s funeral service, which was held in her Chestnut Hill home in December 1910. Judge Smith served The Mother Church for many years and in many capacities. He was President twice, a member of the Christian Science Board of Lectureship, Manager of the Committees on Publication for 15 years, teacher of the Normal class under the Christian Science Board of Education in 1916, editor of the periodicals from 1930 to 1932, and from 1932 to 1935 he served as editor of the Bureau of History and Records. Judge Smith also taught classes in Christian Science from 1912 to 1941.