GIDEON PALMER NOYES was a businessman in Boston, Massachusetts, when his wife, Caroline D. Noyes, first began the study of Christian Science in 1882. The next year, she went to Chicago to help in the healing practice in that city, and within a few months Gideon joined her there. Although interested in Christian Science, it was not until he had studied with Mrs. Eddy in the Primary class of 1886 at the Massachusetts Metaphysical College that he severed all business connections and joined his wife in the full-time practice. His card first appeared in the July 1887 Christian Science Journal as a member of the Illinois Christian Science Institute. At the annual meeting of the newly organized Chicago church in 1886, Mr. Noyes was elected one of the Trustees, and following the reorganization of the church in 1890 as First Church of Christ, Scientist, Chicago, he continued to serve in the same capacity. A quiet, reserved New England gentleman, Mr. Noyes won the respect and confidence of many and had as patients some of Chicago’s most distinguished citizens.