MARTHA E. SHERMAN, her husband Bradford, and their son Roger, pioneered the practice of Christian Science in Chicago, Illinois, in 1883. When they found themselves unable to meet the growing demand for healing in the city, they invited Caroline D. Noyes of Boston, a family friend, to join them. Caroline arrived in July 1883, and Ellen Brown, a Boston practitioner, arrived shortly thereafter. Mrs. Eddy formally initiated Christian Science in Chicago by teaching a class there in May 1884. That same year, Martha had Primary class from Mrs. Eddy at the Massachusetts Metaphysical College, and received the degree of C.S.D. about three years later, although she never taught. Mr. and Mrs. Sherman advertised jointly as practitioners in The Christian Science Journal from June 1884 to 1897 in Chicago and later in Mobile, Alabama.