Amesbury Restoration Update
Shortly after her life-changing healing in 1866, Mrs. Eddy was deserted by her second husband. Over the next nine years, she would dig deeper into her discovery of Christian Science while moving repeatedly in a long succession of rented rooms. One such place she found refuge was in the small upstairs bedroom in this house in Amesbury.
The house was owned by Sarah Bagley, who provided a room to Mrs. Eddy first in June and July 1868. Here, Mrs. Eddy taught her second student — Richard Kennedy.
Later, after her year-and-a-half stay with the Wentworths in Stoughton, she returned to this house for a few weeks in the spring of 1870 and took Sarah Bagley as her fourth student. From here Mrs. Eddy moved to Lynn, where she set up a teacher-practitioner partnership with young Kennedy, and, more importantly, where she began to teach classes of students and stepped out onto a wider stage.